What are the benefits of cataract surgery?
- Improved vision: The most obvious benefit is improved vision. Cataract surgery removes the cloudy lens and replaces it with a clear artificial lens, allowing light to pass through properly and restoring more physiological (natural) optics.
- Reduced dependence on glasses: Depending on the type of intra-ocular lens (IOL) chosen for the surgery, cataract surgery provides the opportunity for reduced dependence on glasses for distance and reading vision.
- Enhanced quality of life: Restoring clearer vision can greatly enhance overall quality of life. It allows individuals to see more clearly, perform daily activities with greater ease, and enjoy hobbies or activities they may have had difficulty with due to impaired vision.
- Enhanced mental well-being: Restoring clearer vision often leads to increased confidence and independence. Being able to see more clearly can positively impact mood and mental well-being.
- Reduced risk of falls and better functionality: Improved vision after cataract surgery can reduce the risk of falls and related injuries. Clearer vision allows better perception of obstacles, steps, and changes in the environment, improving overall safety and mobility. Tasks like reading, driving, cooking and engaging in hobbies becomes easier, contributing to a more active and fulfilling lifestyle.
- Improved safety when driving: Replacing your cataract lens with a new artificial lens (IOL) will allow you to see clearer and also reduce the glare that you may be experiencing with bright lights, especially when driving at night.
What are the advantages of having private cataract surgery?
- Your surgery and pre-operative consultation are carried out by a consultant eye surgeon; cataract surgery by a consultant is associated with the lowest risk of complications.
- At some eye clinics, such as ClarisVision, you will be reviewed in clinic by your actual surgeon before and after surgery.
- A more personal care.
- Care that can be personalised to your individual eyes, visual needs and lifestyle.
- Private cataract surgery providers the best opportunity to reduce dependence or even eliminate the need for glasses, as there is a greater range of lenses that can be used during surgery, eg multifocal, extended depth of focus and toric lenses.
- The use of a private room on your day of surgery.
- Reduced waiting time for your surgery compared to the NHS waits, and also greater flexibility with appointments.
How much does private cataract surgery cost?
Standard cataract surgery – £2700 per eye: In standard cataract surgery a monofocal intraocular lens (IOL) is used during the procedure. This usually focuses your vision for distance, necessitating glasses for intermediate and near activities such as reading, phone use and computer work. Distance glasses may also be required for your best distance vision especially if there is astigmatism present.
Cataract surgery with a toric lens – £3400 per eye: A toric lens corrects for the presence of astigmatism, aiming to give you the best possible vision for distance without glasses. Glasses will be required for activities that require near and intermediate vision such as phone use, reading and computer work.
Cataract surgery with a multifocal lens – £3700 per eye: Multifocal IOLs for cataract surgery are more advanced lenses that provide vision correction at multiple distances, reducing or eliminating the need for glasses after surgery. These lenses are designed with various focal points, allowing individuals to see clearly at far, intermediate and near distances.
Every effort is made for prices to be accurate; however, the exact pricing may depend on several factors, including the specific requirements for IOL type or anaesthetic and the chosen hospital. All involved pricing will be explained in detail before booking a consultation or surgery.Book a free no obligation screening visit now!
Are there finance options available?
Cataract surgery is carried out at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital or Spire Southampton Hospital. An interest free credit option is available; both providers can facilitate a personal medical loan through a third party with 0% interest for 10-12 months. Longer term payment options up to 60 months are also available. More information can be found on the following Nuffield Health and Spire Healthcare webpages.
Why have surgery with Aris Konstantopoulos?
- Consultant personalised and personal care throughout your treatment, from initial consultation through to surgery and post-operative review.
- Aris will guide you through the broadest range of lenses and laser eye surgery procedures to identify what is most suitable for your eyes and requirements.
- Aris is an experienced NHS and private consultant eye surgeon with high patient satisfaction rates.
- Aris will provide an honest discussion of risks, benefits and expected outcomes.
- Care and peace of mind within the safety of traditional private hospitals – the Nuffield Health Wessex and Spire Southampton Hospitals.
- Availability of 0% finance options.
Which lens option is better for you?
At your clinic consultation Aris will examine your eyes in order to assess your need and suitability for cataract surgery. In addition to your eye health, Aris will also take into consideration other factors, such as your age, your lifestyle, overall health and the desired outcome, so that he can advise the most suitable procedure and lens option. You can find out more about lens options on our cataract surgery page.
If you are not seeing clearly or have been advised that you have cataract, please complete the form on our contact page or call 02381 812281 to book a consultation for private cataract surgery or a free no obligation screening visit.